Sunday, October 10, 2010

Raleigh and Greensboro

The flight from Sky Harbor was calm and peaceful. I am reading a mystery by Charles Todd, Legacy of the Dead, that made the whole day go fast! After picking up the rental car, I wanted to take the long way to Greensboro to see the scenery. What a gorgeous day - warm, but not too hot and trees, trees, trees! As a desert girl, I am so amazed at the amount of vegetation in other parts of the world. 

Things went well until I arrived in Greensboro! I was so lost. Because I flew in, I didn't have one of my detailed road maps and was trying to navigate with the map given to me at the rental agency. I was starving and lost and determined to stick to my dining rules (see below). I was ready to stop at a convenience mart and have a sandwich, when I spied a sign that said, Harper's Restaurant. It didn't look like a diner, but it didn't really seem like a chain so I decided an investigation was in order. So glad I did! Got to start out with some delicious Carolina Barbecue - with 2 sauces, coleslaw and baked beans. The meat was deliciously flavored and incredibly rich and juicy. It was a chain, though a local one, so I don't think I broke my rules too badly. I would have hated to have to go without Barbecue on my first day in NC!

Still lost, though! It took another hour or so to find a motel for the evening. Tomorrow we visit Alamance for a little history and then ????

Dining Rules
1. No Chains
2. Absolutely NO Fast Food
3. Try to find small diners, cafes and taverns.
4. Stay off the Interstate!

No comments: